Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

9 Signs of Spiritual Maturity-Self Control

                                       9 Signs of Spiritual Maturity - Self Control

2 Timothy 1:7(NCV)7 God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid but a spirit of power and love and self-control.
 

1 Peter 4:7 The end of all things is near; therefore, be of sound judgment and sober spirit for the purpose of prayer.

The final and one of the most important "spiritual fruits" that Jesus mentioned is "self control".  I will admit this is something I have to focus on and practice on a "daily  basis". This is something I continue to work on. Sometimes I succeed fully, sometimes I don't.  BUT I believe that God understands this and wants to see if we will keep "trying" to live a self-disciplined life through HIS strength.

                               SELF CONTROL= BALANCED LIFE

Jesus mentioned that "practicing" self control doesn't just help others look to Christians for an example of peace  but it is a blessing to have "balanced" life. Living many years without balance, I look back and see all of the strife, the ups and downs, emotional rollercoasters and detours I needlessly went through.  Self-control is last in the list of 'spiritual fruits". It regulates all the preceding fruit or virtues of the Spirit. Love without restraint becomes passion. Joy taken to excess is shallow frivolity. Peace without self-control becomes idleness. Patience without balance becomes apathy. Gentleness becomes weakness; goodness becomes self-serving. Faith completely without reason becomes blind superstition. Meekness taken to an extreme becomes timidity. The world speaks of love, joy, and peace, but its darkened mind .

Ask yourself these questions to see if you are growing "self control" and headed on the right track:
 • Am I as dedicated and zealous as an Olympic athlete?
• Do I study the Holy Scriptures as much as any athlete studies how to perform well in his sport?
• Am I quick in seeking advice (through prayer and Bible study) from my Coach?
• Do I stay focused on my long-range goal?
• Am I willing to make sacrifices to reach my goal?
• Am I determined to endure to the end —to cross the finish line of life—and to never quit?

We probably can't say yes to all those questions every day. But hopefully we are heading in that direction. This requires taking charge of our lives.  If we do practice restraint, God wants to bless us with a purpose that we will grasp in time. Self control requires alot of faith that the goal, though it seems WAY down the road; will be worth the wait!

FATHER GOD - IN THIS WORLD OF INSTANT GRATIFICATION AND LACK OF SELF DISCIPLINE, HELP US TO STAY ON TRACK, FOCUS ON YOU TO ACHIEVE WHAT YOU WANT US TO ACHIEVE. HELP US TO UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF GETTING OFF TRACK AND NOT DEVELOPING THE FRUIT OF SELF CONTROL. THANK YOU FOR GIVING US THE STRENGTH TO DO THIS IN YOUR NAME. HELP US TO GRASP THAT THE POSSIBILITIES THROUGH YOU ARE ENDLESS IF WE DO OUR PART. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR WONDERFUL BLESSINGS. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment