Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Knowing when to LET GO

Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand. Proverbs 19:21 (ESV)

The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. Proverbs 16:9 (ESV)

Eventually all things fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moments, and know EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON." Albert Schweitzer



Isn't it hard to discern when we should "hang on" or "let go" of certain circumstances, people, unfruitful activities we put so much time in? I know its easy for me, when I'm excited about an event, an activity a person, etc that I will put all my energy into "making it work". Thus, leaving God out of the picture.

 
First, when we are still involved with something that God wants us to be done with, then we are missing God’s next big thing for us. If our attention is where WE want it instead of where GOD wants it, we are definitely off track.




Second, if we aren’t letting go of something God wants us to be done with, we are no longer operating under His grace. We are in fact, on our own. If it didn’t get completed with God in it, what makes us think that we can finish it on our own? Sometimes it is only silly PRIDE that keeps us from moving forward. And pride can be a dangerous thing.
 

Here are some examples of things we may need to let go.

A business that isn’t making any profit or is operating in the red with no prospects for improvement.

A hobby that is no longer enjoyable or relaxing.

Something that makes us too busy to spend one-to-one time with God.

We are trying to help someone get their life together for the 5TH year and they are still not helped.

An activity that bears no fruit or mostly bad fruit.

Something we do that makes us look good instead of God.

Something we know is not of God, but we are too stubborn to stop.



Don’t get me wrong. There are times we need to hang on and have faith. The question is :

HOW DO WE KNOW WHEN TO LET GO AND WHEN TO HAVE FAITH AND HANG ON?

Pray and seek discernment regarding what you might be holding onto when God says it’s time to move on. Ask God to give you His peace and make it really clear when it’s time to act.

Ask God to point out scripture when you are studying to confirm what it is HE wants you to do.


Father God - Please show me anything or anyone that you want me to let go of at the end of this year, in order to make way for Your plan to be accomplished in my life. Give me the words I need at that time to make the appropriate changes. Help me to be discerning about anything I take on in the future so that I am continually operating under your grace. Thank you for guiding me in the direction you would want me to go. Amen.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment